Sunday, May 13, 2007

IE Troubles

I don't like Internet Explorer. Nothing special now - if you don't like it, simply don't use it. Right, I'm using Firefox for quite a long time. But sometimes I need IE for a little while (actually I use IE Tab, but that's completely different story).

But IE 6 started to make troubles (and it's really good in that). Every time I launched it, IE disappeared (after showing its main window for a second). So, my first guess was some kind of malware (although using IE only at safe pages and never had this problem with Firefox, just wanted to be sure). Scanned the system with Spybot, but nothing special.

Spent some time googling, again nothing special. Later I found some workaround - started explorer.exe ("This computer"), typed URL there, and the IE launched well.

This worked for a week or two. Finally I decided to update to IE 7. When Microsoft spent so long time developing this thing, it should be better than the old one. Well, IE7 worked for a week or two, then the same problem appeared.

My last solution (for last week or two :)) is as follows:
  1. Go to your Internet Options (Start, Control Panel, Internet Options)
  2. Tab Programs
  3. Button Manage add-ons
  4. Check all add-ons on this page. The one that was causing problems to me was called SSVHelper Class (published by Sun Microsystems, Inc.). So I disabled it and everything is fine since then.

Maybe that your case is slightly different, so you may try disabling all add ons and trying to launch IE. Then enabling one per try you should be able to figure out the "bad one".

1 comment:

SorryForMyEnglish said...

I have found some useful command line switch for IE7 - try

iexplore www.google.com -extoff

This will start Internet Explorer without any extension, great for debuging.